AvenueM Application Requirements (expand for more information)
AvenueM Community College Application
The AvenueM Program represents the Greater Northern California Regional Hub for Healthcare Opportunity (RHHO) which is part of the state-wide California Medicine Scholars Programs (CMSP) network of RHHOs, administered by the California Medicine Coalition through the Foundation for California Community Colleges.
AvenueM focuses on increasing diverse physicians from community colleges to serve Northern California, particularly medically underserved communities. Part of this focus is recruiting a diverse group of mission-focused students.
Mission-focused categories include:
- Economically, socially and/or educationally disadvantaged background
- English as a second language
- Ties to the Northern California Region (e.g., attended high school in the region, place of birth, and/or parents’ residence, and/or applicant’s residence)
These mission-focused categories are considered as part of the selection process.
Program eligibility requirements:
- Overall GPA of 3.0
- Completion of 12 units of transferable coursework at a California Community College (you will need to submit unofficial transcripts with your application)
- Have completed a Student Education Plan outlining your plan for transfer (must be completed with a California Community College counselor)
- Interested applicants may have completed an interest form through our website or through the California-Medicine.org website.
- For the AvenueM Program, the interest application is only used to identify interested applicants. To officially apply to be considered for the AvenueM Program, applicants must complete the application linked below.
Interested applicants may have completed an interest form through our website or through the California-Medicine.org website. For the AvenueM Program, the interest application is only used to identify interested applicants. To officially apply to be considered for the AvenueM Program, applicants must complete this application. Please see the application timeline below.
- Deadline to Apply for Fall consideration is
October 31.DEADLINE EXTENDED TO December 15, 2022
- Deadline to Apply for Spring consideration is March 31.
Program decisions and notifications will be sent out 3 weeks after the deadline for each term.
Application Preparation Tips:
- Take your time and complete the application thoroughly.
- Applications should be completed and submitted in a single session.
- Have your comprehensive education plan from your CC counselor easily accessible for uploading as an attachment to your application.
- Have a digital copy (.pdf) of your unofficial transcript easily accessible to upload with your application.
- Thoughtfully review and prepare your response to the question prompts below. You will be asked to answer these three prompts in 250 words or less. We recommend you type these responses in a separate document (Word or Google docs) and copy and paste into your application form.
- What experiences have led you to pursue considering a career as a physician? Are there other healthcare careers you are considering?
- What kind of physician do you want to be and where do you want to practice?
- What characteristics/skills do you possess and/or how will you demonstrate commitment and leadership to positively impact underserved communities? Please include if you have any personal experience with rural or urban underserved communities.
If you are ready to become a part of AvenueM and meet the eligibility requirements above, submit your Application Today!
Applications are open for the first AvenueM cohort. Students are encouraged to submit an application when they are approximately 1.5 years away from transferring from a partner community college to one of AvenueM's 4-year institutions (UC Davis, Sacramento State, or Cal Poly Humboldt).
The Fall application deadline has been extended to December 15, 2022.
If you are early in your community college career or are in high school, you are encouraged to complete the Interest Form.